Important Note (Sept 26th, 2022): Due to technical issues volunteer applications submitted between August 26th, 2022 and September 26th, 2022 were lost to the void. If you applied during this period, you will need to apply again. Sorry!!
Since 1973, Spartacus Books is a non-profit, volunteer & collectively run bookstore & resource center. The store has been successfully run for over 40 years by a collective of volunteers, despite a 2004 fire at one location, and two renovictions, and one move since then. With support from our community, we have survived it all but sadly had to leave the DTES.
People come to our space to:
- read on the couches- use the free computers and internet connection
- chat and network with diverse and interesting folks
- learn about and advertise upcoming events
- buy books, zines, magazines, comix and other paraphernalia relating to struggles against classism, racism, sexism, war, corporate greed, environmental destruction, and other institutional atrocities
- attend movie nights, meetings poetry readings, and many other community events
Questions? Contact us at 604-688-6138, email@example.com, or by visiting 1983 Commercial Drive, xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and səl̓ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) territory, Vancouver, BC
Application process from here:
- Spartacus’ volunteer coordinators will contact you to set up an interview/orientation with 2 Spartacus volunteers. It might be a couple of weeks before you hear from us. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM BOX! Our emails sometimes get filtered out or bounced. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks please email firstname.lastname@example.org to follow up.
- You’ll come in for your interview/orientation – it takes about 1/2 – 1 hour. You’ll learn more about how Spartacus works, what your responsibilities will be, how decisions are made in our volunteer collective. We’ll learn more about you, your interests, your experiences, and we’ll make sure we’re a good fit for you and vice versa.
- Within about a week after your interview you will hear from a member of the collective letting you know whether or not you have been accepted or not.
- If you’re accepted, you’ll set up 1-3 training shifts with different collective members to learn how the store works.
- After you’ve completed your training and feel comfortable, you can sign up for a regular weekly shift at the store. New volunteers are asked to commit to a specific shift for the first two months they’re involved at the store. Otherwise, often people forget their training.